This programme awards non-residential fellowships to PhD candidates who are conducting high-quality, policy-relevant research that will deepen the understanding of these topics and contribute to the advancement of peace and security.
To be eligible for the USIP Peace Scholar Fellowship Programme 2024, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be a PhD candidate enrolled at a U.S. university who has successfully completed all required coursework and comprehensive exams.
- You must be writing a doctoral dissertation on topics related to conflict management, peacebuilding and security studies.
- You must have a dissertation advisor who can provide guidance and support for your research.
- You must be able to devote full attention to your dissertation work and participate in the programme activities, such as workshops, roundtables and progress reports.
- You must be able to demonstrate the policy relevance and academic rigor of your research.
- You must be able to show how your research aligns with one of the key initiatives or research priorities of USIP or the Minerva Research Initiative.
The USIP Peace Scholar Fellowship Programme 2024 provides a stipend of up to $20,000, paid directly to the fellow in three tranches. The stipend can be used to cover expenses related to the research and writing of the dissertation, such as travel, data collection, software, books, etc. The stipend cannot be used to pay tuition fees or other institutional costs.
As a USIP Peace Scholar Fellow, you are required to:
- Participate in-person at the annual Peace Scholar workshop in Washington, D.C. in the fall.
- Submit quarterly dissertation progress reports to be signed by your dissertation advisor.
- Submit updates for the USIP Peace Scholar seasonal newsletter.
- Participate in two virtual roundtable discussions with other fellows and USIP staff.
- Submit a copy of your completed and committee-approved dissertation to USIP.
- Submit copies of any other publications, including articles and books, resulting from the fellowship.
You Can Also Check This Out: Nokia Foundation Scholarships in Finland for International Student 2023/2024
To apply for the USIP Peace Scholar Fellowship Programme 2024, you need to prepare and submit the following documents:
- A completed online application form that includes your personal and contact information, academic background, dissertation topic and abstract, research plan and timeline, policy relevance statement, budget proposal and optional links to publications.
- A curriculum vitae that summarizes your academic achievements, publications, awards, grants and relevant work experience.
- A bibliography that lists the sources that you have consulted or plan to consult for your dissertation research.
- Two letters of recommendation from academic or professional references who can attest to your qualifications and potential as a peace scholar. One of the letters must be from your dissertation advisor.
The application procedure for the USIP Peace Scholar Fellowship Programme 2024 consists of two steps:
- Registration: You need to register using USIP’s competition management program FLUXX. All applicants must register for this competition even if they have registered previously for another USIP competition. Registration opens on Thursday, September 7, 2023 and closes on Thursday, November 16, 2023 at 4:00 PM EDT.
- Application: After completing the registration, you need to prepare and submit a complete application in FLUXX. You can access the application form and instructions after logging in to FLUXX. Application deadline is Tuesday, November 28, 2023 at 4:00 PM EDT. Letters of recommendation are due within one week of the application deadline. All letters of recommendation for the 2024-25 Peace Scholar competition must be submitted by 4:00 PM EDT Tuesday, December 5, 2023.
You Can Also Check This Out: Artificial Intelligence Scholarships 2023/2024 at University of Bradford in UK
The deadline for registering and applying for the USIP Peace Scholar Fellowship Programme 2024 is Tuesday, November 28, 2023 at 4:00 PM EDT. The deadline for submitting letters of recommendation is Tuesday, December 5, 2023 at 4:00 PM EDT. No late or incomplete applications will be accepted.
How to Apply
To apply for the USIP Peace Scholar Fellowship Programme 2024, you need to follow these steps:
- Visit the official website of the programme and read more about the programme details, eligibility criteria, requirements and application process.
- Register for the competition using FLUXX by providing your name, email address and affiliation. You will receive a confirmation email with a link to activate your account and create a password.
- Log in to FLUXX and access the application form and instructions. Fill out the application form with the required information and upload the required documents. You can save your progress and return to the application later before submitting it.
- Request two letters of recommendation from your academic or professional references. One of the letters must be from your dissertation advisor. Provide them with the link to FLUXX where they can submit their letters online. Remind them of the deadline and follow up with them to ensure that they have submitted their letters on time.
- Review your application and make sure that it is complete and accurate. Submit your application by clicking on the submit button before the deadline. You will receive a confirmation email that your application has been received.
If you have any questions or problems regarding the application process, you can contact USIP at [firstname.lastname@example.org] or call 202-429-3842.
Scholarship Official website: