The UBC Rio Tinto Graduate Scholarship Program is a prestigious award that offers an $18,000 scholarship for a UBC graduate student who is conducting research in an area related to Rio Tinto’s activities in mining. Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and metals company that operates in 35 countries and employs more than 60,000 people. Rio Tinto is committed to innovation and research that can improve the environmental and social performance of the mining industry.
To be eligible for the UBC Rio Tinto Graduate Scholarship Program, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, or an international student with a valid study permit.
- You must be enrolled in a full-time master’s or doctoral program at UBC in a field of pure or applied science related to mining, such as geology, mineralogy, metallurgy, engineering, chemistry, physics, biology, or environmental science.
- You must have a minimum GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale in your most recent two years of study.
- You must have a strong academic record and research potential, as demonstrated by your transcripts, publications, awards, and letters of recommendation.
- You must have a clear and well-defined research proposal that aligns with Rio Tinto’s interests and objectives in mining innovation and sustainability.
- You must have a supervisor who is a faculty member at UBC and who is willing to support your research project and application.
The UBC Rio Tinto Graduate Scholarship Program provides an $18,000 scholarship for one year, renewable for up to three years, subject to satisfactory academic progress and availability of funds. The scholarship is intended to cover tuition fees and living expenses. The scholarship recipients will also have the opportunity to interact with Rio Tinto’s experts and access their facilities and resources.
You Can Also Check This Out: Artificial Intelligence Scholarships 2023/2024 at University of Bradford in UK
To apply for the UBC Rio Tinto Graduate Scholarship Program, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must complete and submit the online application form by the deadline, which is January 15, 2024 for the 2024-2025 academic year.
- You must upload the following documents as part of your application:
- A copy of your official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended.
- A copy of your curriculum vitae (CV), highlighting your academic achievements, publications, awards, and relevant work experience.
- A copy of your research proposal (maximum 5 pages), outlining the objectives, methodology, expected outcomes, and significance of your research project in relation to Rio Tinto’s activities in mining.
- A copy of your supervisor’s letter of support (maximum 2 pages), confirming their endorsement of your research project and application.
- Two letters of recommendation from academic referees who are familiar with your academic performance and research potential. The letters should be sent directly by the referees to the program coordinator by email at firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
The documents that you upload as part of your application must meet the following requirements:
- They must be in PDF format and named according to the following convention: Lastname_Firstname_DocumentType.pdf (e.g., Smith_John_Transcript.pdf).
- They must be clear and legible, with no missing pages or information.
- They must be in English or accompanied by an official English translation.
The application procedure for the UBC Rio Tinto Graduate Scholarship Program consists of the following steps:
- Step 1: Contact a potential supervisor at UBC who is a faculty member in a field of pure or applied science related to mining and who is willing to support your research project and application. You can find a list of potential supervisors on the [UBC Faculty of Science website].
- Step 2: Discuss your research proposal with your potential supervisor and obtain their approval and letter of support.
- Step 3: Complete and submit the online application form by the deadline. You will need to provide your personal information, academic background, research proposal, supervisor’s name and email address, and upload the required documents.
- Step 4: Ask two academic referees to send their letters of recommendation directly to the program coordinator by email at email@example.com by the deadline. The letters should include your name, program, and supervisor’s name in the subject line.
The deadline for submitting your online application form and uploading your documents is January 15, 2024. The deadline for receiving your letters of recommendation by email is also January 15, 2024. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
How to Apply
To apply for the UBC Rio Tinto Graduate Scholarship Program 2024-2025, please follow this link: [UBC Rio Tinto Graduate Scholarship Program Application Form].
If you have any questions or concerns about the program or the application process, please contact the program coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarship Official website: UBC Rio Tinto Graduate Scholarship Program 2024-2025