Illinois Wesleyan University (IWU) is a private liberal arts university located in Bloomington, Illinois, USA. It offers more than 80 majors, minors, and programs to its students, and has a reputation for academic excellence and innovation. IWU is also committed to supporting international students who wish to pursue their undergraduate studies at the university. For this reason, IWU offers various scholarships and financial aid opportunities to qualified international applicants.
To be eligible for the IWU scholarships, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- They must be international students who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents.
- They must have completed their secondary education or equivalent before enrolling at IWU.
- They must have outstanding academic achievement and test scores on the required entrance exams, such as SAT, ACT, TOEFL, or IELTS.
- They must demonstrate financial need and submit the CSS PROFILE to be considered for additional financial support from IWU.
- They must apply for admission to IWU by the specified deadlines and submit all the required documents.
The IWU scholarships for international students are of two types: merit-based scholarships and president’s scholarships. The financial coverage of each type is as follows:
- Merit-Based Scholarships: These awards range from $16,000 to $30,000 per year and are renewable for up to four years. The amount of the scholarship is determined by the academic performance and test scores of the applicant. Students who complete the admissions application are automatically considered for these scholarships; no separate scholarship application is required.
- President’s Scholarships: These are full-tuition scholarships, which are renewable for up to four years of study. These scholarships are highly competitive and are awarded to two exceptional first-year international students based on their talents, interests, and academic achievements. Students who wish to apply for these scholarships must submit a separate scholarship application by February 15, 2024.
In addition to the scholarships, international students may also be eligible for other forms of financial aid from IWU, such as grants, loans, and campus-employment opportunities. These are based on the financial need and availability of funds of the applicant. The preferred filing date of the CSS PROFILE for financial aid is March 1, 2024.
You Can Also Check This Out: Artificial Intelligence Scholarships 2023/2024 at University of Bradford in UK
To apply for the IWU scholarships and financial aid, applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- They must complete the online application for admission to IWU and pay the $50 application fee. Alternatively, they can use the Common Application or the Coalition Application to apply to IWU without paying the fee.
- They must submit their official transcripts or academic records from all secondary schools or colleges attended. The transcripts must be translated into English and evaluated by a credential evaluation service, such as WES or ECE.
- They must submit their official test scores from the required entrance exams, such as SAT, ACT, TOEFL, or IELTS. The minimum scores for admission are: SAT: 1080, ACT: 21, TOEFL: 79, IELTS: 6.5. The IWU code for SAT and TOEFL is 1319, and for ACT is 1040.
- They must submit two letters of recommendation from teachers, counselors, or other academic professionals who can attest to their academic abilities and personal qualities.
- They must submit a personal statement or essay that reflects their personality, interests, goals, and reasons for choosing IWU.
- They must submit a resume or curriculum vitae that highlights their extracurricular activities, leadership roles, awards, honors, and achievements.
- They must submit the CSS PROFILE to be considered for financial aid from IWU. The IWU code for the CSS PROFILE is 1319.
- They must submit the IWU International Student Certification of Finances form, which shows their sources and amounts of funding for their education.
- They must submit the IWU President’s Scholarship Application by February 15, 2024, if they wish to apply for the full-tuition scholarship. The application consists of a short essay and a creative project that showcases their talents and interests.
The following documents are required to apply for the IWU scholarships and financial aid:
- Online application for admission to IWU or Common Application or Coalition Application
- $50 application fee (waived for Common Application or Coalition Application users)
- Official transcripts or academic records from all secondary schools or colleges attended
- Official test scores from SAT, ACT, TOEFL, or IELTS
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal statement or essay
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- CSS PROFILE
- IWU International Student Certification of Finances form
- IWU President’s Scholarship Application (optional)
How to Apply
The application procedure for the IWU scholarships and financial aid is as follows:
- Applicants must first create an account on the IWU website and complete the online application for admission. Alternatively, they can use the Common Application or the Coalition Application to apply to IWU.
- Applicants must then upload or mail their transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation, personal statement, resume, and other supporting documents to the IWU Office of Admission.
- Applicants must also complete the CSS PROFILE online and submit it to IWU by March 1, 2024. They must also submit the IWU International Student Certification of Finances form to the IWU Office of Financial Aid.
- Applicants who wish to apply for the President’s Scholarship must also submit the IWU President’s Scholarship Application by February 15, 2024. They must write a short essay and create a creative project that demonstrates their talents and interests.
- Applicants will receive an admission decision from IWU by April 1, 2024. They will also receive a financial aid award letter that outlines their scholarship and financial aid package from IWU.
- Applicants who are accepted to IWU must confirm their enrollment by May 1, 2024, and pay a $300 enrollment deposit. They must also apply for a student visa and make arrangements for their travel and accommodation.
The deadline for applying for the IWU scholarships and financial aid is as follows:
- Application for admission: January 1, 2024
- President’s Scholarship Application: February 15, 2024
- CSS PROFILE and IWU International Student Certification of Finances form: March 1, 2024
- Admission decision: April 1, 2024
- Enrollment confirmation and deposit: May 1, 2024