The Horatio Alger National Scholarship is one of the most prestigious and generous scholarships in the United States. It is awarded to high school seniors who have overcome significant adversities in their lives and demonstrated academic excellence, leadership, and community service. The scholarship provides $25,000 to each recipient to pursue a bachelor’s degree at an accredited institution of their choice.
In addition, the scholars receive an all-expenses-paid trip to Washington, D.C., where they attend the National Scholars Conference and meet with influential leaders and mentors. The scholarship is funded by the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans, a nonprofit organization that honors the achievements of outstanding individuals who have succeeded in spite of challenges and who have remained committed to supporting young people in pursuit of increased opportunities through higher education.
To be eligible for the Horatio Alger National Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled full time as a high school senior in the United States.
- Exhibit a strong commitment to pursue and complete a bachelor’s degree at an accredited non-profit public or private institution in the United States (students may start their studies at a two-year institution and then transfer to a four-year institution).
- Demonstrate critical financial need ($55,000 or lower adjusted gross family income is required).
- Be involved in co-curricular and community service activities.
- Display integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity.
- Maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0.
- Be a United States citizen.
You Can Also Check This Out: Artificial Intelligence Scholarships 2023/2024 at University of Bradford in UK
The Horatio Alger National Scholarship covers the following expenses for the selected scholars:
- $25,000 for tuition, fees, books, and on-campus room and board for four years of undergraduate study.
- An all-expenses-paid trip to Washington, D.C., for the National Scholars Conference, where scholars receive mentoring, career guidance, and networking opportunities with leaders from various fields.
- Access to online resources, alumni support, and graduate scholarships.
To apply for the Horatio Alger National Scholarship, applicants must:
- Complete an online application form that includes personal information, academic records, extracurricular activities, honors and awards, work experience, essays, and income verification.
- Submit an online certification form from a high school counselor that verifies the applicant’s GPA, class rank, and standardized test scores.
- Provide one letter of support from an adult who can attest to the applicant’s character, goals, and adversities.
The following documents are required for the Horatio Alger National Scholarship application:
- A copy of the applicant’s transcript that shows grades from 9th to 11th grade.
- A copy of the applicant’s SAT or ACT score report.
- A copy of the applicant’s parent(s) or guardian(s) federal tax return for the most recent year available.
- A letter of support from an adult who is not related to the applicant.
The application procedure for the Horatio Alger National Scholarship consists of the following steps:
- Visit the official website of the scholarship program and create an account.
- Log in to your account and fill out the online application form with accurate and honest information.
- Upload or mail the required documents to the scholarship program office by the deadline.
- Wait for the notification of selection results in January 2024.
The deadline for submitting the online application form and supporting documents for the Horatio Alger National Scholarship is October 25, 2023.
How to Apply
To apply for the Horatio Alger National Scholarship, please follow this link and complete the online application process. For more information about the scholarship program, please visit the official website or contact the scholarship program office.
Scholarship Official website: Horatio Alger National Scholarship 2024